Pneumatic Pnews

Monday, July 31, 2006

Tech Force 99: Part 2

by Tex Force

Continuing our look at the Tech Force 99, I chronographed my rifle with four pellets: Beeman Kodiak, JSB Exact 10.2-grain, H&N Finale Match and RWS Hobby. The Kodiaks averagerd 633 f.p.s. with a standard deviation of just 4 f.p.s. That's tight and good for long-range accuracy. The JSB averaged 684 f.p.s. with an SD of 5 f.p.s. The H&N Match pellets weigh only 7.6 grains and averaged 793 f.p.s with an SD of 19 f.p.s., which is pretty large. The Hobby pellets averaged 883 f.p.s., but they had a velocity spread from 807 to 978, so they are out the window for accuracy testing.

The cocking effort of my rifle is about 30 lbs. I measure it with a spring hay scale attached to the underlever. While it isn't exact, it does give a good ballpark number.

Sights
While the TF99 has adjustable open sights, I mounted a Tech Force 3-12x scope for better accuracy. The rifle has a scope stop already built in, so you don't need a mount with a stop of its own.


The TF99 comes with a built-in scope stop. Just butt the rear scope mount against this stop, and everything will be rigid.



Tech Force 3-12x scope is perfect for the TF 99. It mounts with plenty of clearance for loading.


On the basis of velocity, both the Kodiak and JSB pellets looked best. The H&N Match also looked like it might work, but things didn't work out that way at the range. I shot at 18 yards, and all shooting was off a bench, with the rifle rested on a sandbag AND floated on my hand (which rested on a bag). The TF 99 definitely likes to be floated with as light a touch as you can manage. Hold it tight ,and the groups open up to over 2" - even at 18 yards. Hold it very lightly so it can move and recoil, however, and the groups shrink right up.

The JSB pellets turned out to be the worst pellets, grouping up to 1.5" with a light hold (the best hold for all pellets with this rifle). I can't recommend using them in this gun. The H&N Finale Match turned in some 1" groups, which is okay but not great. But Beeman Kodiak pellets saved the day with groups hovering around 0.5" to 0.75" when the rifle was lightly held. Off the sandbag, they opened to greater than 2".

Good trigger
The TF 99 has a light trigger-pull. It's long and a bit creepy, but so light that I don't think most shooters will mind. When the rifle is cocked, the moving compression chamber locks to the back so you can load a pellet into the breech. There is plenty of room, but it will take several tries before you become good at it. You have to reach into an opening in the side of the outer tube, and there isn't a lot of room for your fingers. However, like I said, you will get used to it.

Safety, safety, safety!
There is a beartrap lock that holds the sliding chamber back but don't depend on it. Hold the end of the underlever tight enough to catch the spring should the beartrap latch fail. That will keep your fingers safe at all times. When you've loaded the rifle, depress the beartrap latch at the rear of the triggrguard to rotate the underlever back to its stored position. All good underlever guns with sliding chambers have latches like this. Or they should! Also, the safety must be taken off before you fire the gun.


The TF99 trigger is light and easy to get used to. The lever behind it releases the beartrap device so the underlever can be stored. The lever in front is the safety.


Shooting
Recoil is light, and the action is quite smooth when the gun fires. It acts like a nice European spring rifle rather than a typical Chinese airgun. Once you get used to the trigger, your groups will start shrinking if you remember to let the rifle move as much as it wants to when it fires.

The TF99 is a large spring rifle with light cocking and a smooth firing behavior. Accuracy depends on a soft hold and the right pellet, which I found was the Beeman Kodiak.

11 Comments:

  • Are the piston seals on the TF99 and the TF97 synthetic ?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:46 AM, July 31, 2006  

  • The seals are synthetic.

    Tex

    By Anonymous Tex Force, at 5:56 AM, July 31, 2006  

  • Thos fps are way way less than advertised. Why?
    What should be a true velocity for a 14.3 .22?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:10 PM, July 31, 2006  

  • I don't know about the difference between the advertised velocity and what I got. All I can tell you is I used an Oehler 35P chronograph that is acknowledged as the best in the industry.

    A .22 usually develops 20 percent greater ENERGY than a .177 in the same rifle. This rifle develops 10.6 foot pounds in .177, so if we increase that to 13 for .22, this rifle should produce around 640 f.p.s. with a 14.3-grain pellet.

    Tex

    By Anonymous Tex Force, at 2:26 PM, July 31, 2006  

  • Finally somebody got some realistic velocity figures from this rifle! I have owned one for four years and mine is also a .177. I get about 10 feet per second faster than you with JSB pellets, the same 10.2-grain ones. They also give me pretty good accuracy, although I have to admit the rifle is no match rifle. The thing is, where else are you going to get everything you get with this gun at the price? I've owned Gamos and had to send them in because they kept breaking on me. My 99 may not be as fast, but at least it's always been there when I needed it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 AM, August 05, 2006  

  • I have a 22 cal TF99 and it averaged around the 700 fps mark with 14.3gr crosmans. Although if you work on the compression chamber it will increase the velocity a little. I would hone out the cylinder though. I recently replaced the spring and worked on it a little and it now averages at 970fps with crosman 14.3gr premiers.

    sav300

    By Blogger sav300, at 10:39 PM, August 05, 2006  

  • sav300,

    How about some more details? What kind of spring did you use? What shape was the factory spring in when you removed it? What lubrication did you do? Does the gun shoot smoothly? Did you do any other things, like honeing the compression chamber? If so, what kind of tool did you use for that?

    Inquiring minds want to know.

    Tex

    By Anonymous Tex Force, at 7:54 AM, August 06, 2006  

  • What scope mounts did you use to mount the scope?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 PM, November 05, 2006  

  • Compasseco used to have a good 4-screw cap mount with a stop pin in the base, and I used them. They are getting these mounts in again, though they didn't appear on the website when I just checked. Give them a call and see if they have them in yet.

    Tex

    By Anonymous Tex Force, at 4:29 AM, November 06, 2006  

  • Hey, I am new to "Blogging" but I just purchased a TF99 after losing my Gamo 1250 in Hurricane Katrina last year. I am all about power and accuracy and after reading your review I decided to make the leap of faith into a gun I had never fired or even seen before. BTW I was reading about reaching max velocity after 300-500 shots with this gun (for those who were wondering about the FPS), but here is something I did not expect so I was hoping you could help me. The first shot I made with the gun was really loud, I would not say like a fire cracker, but somewhere in the middle between a fire cracker and a pellet gun then every shot I have made after that has sounded more springy(?) or just less like that original shot. I still have power as far as I can tell ( no way to really measure it) and the gun does not sound bad when it fires. cocking is still smooth etc. maybe this is common in the world of air guns.
    But as far as I can tell this is a great gun for its price. And thank you for the in-depth review.

    By Anonymous TheStreetLightKiller, at 5:16 PM, November 30, 2006  

  • You had a detonation. It's pretty common in a new gun. The oil in the compression chamber ignited from the temperature of the air compression. It exploded like a fuel-air bomb.

    You don't want a gun to keep doing that, but they all will do it from time to time.

    Asa for how your gun shoots, a chronograph is the only way to know for sure. The feel of a gun can be very misleading.

    Tex

    By Anonymous Tex Force, at 4:05 AM, December 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home